Monday, November 19, 2012

Family

Every once in awhile, life hands us challenges that require us to step away from everything we have and decide what we're doing to keep it. What are we doing to deserve the things we love most in this world?


And sometimes its a simple and resounding silence. A moment when we realize that we've put the wrong things first without even knowing it. The fact of the matter is, as long as these three souls are linked to mine in this life there's not much more I need to have. The rest is just material. Unimportant. I could lose my job, my house, my car, the clothes off my back, but as long as these three are still here with me, we can make it.



I have seen a lot of sad stories in the news lately. Locally a lot of young people have lost their lives and it is simply heartbreaking. For the first time in my life, I can empathize more with their parents than with them and their peers. It is such a different perspective. It is eye-opening in a way, to imagine this sort of fierce, non-bending, never-ceasing love directed at me from my own parents. And to experience it first hand towards my sons.

Family is just so important. Things can change so quickly for the better or the worse. I sense an upswing is in the works for me and mine. But sometimes it is hard in this society to trust in your own momentum.

We're diving head first into the holiday season and I just hope we can all keep our minds and hearts less on where it doesn't count...wrapped up in fancy paper and ribbons and bows, and more on where it does, wrapped in blankets and snuggled into the beds under our roof at night.


No comments:

Post a Comment