Monday, December 10, 2012

Lachlan's Trip to the ER

Its hard to describe the kind of crappy week we had. First of all, hubby started a new job that he loves that has great potential and that gives him lots of hours and overtime. It is truly a blessing for us. However, we weren't fully prepared for the toll this would take on us all having no second car and even less of an idea of how this job would play out. The hours are unpredictable and long and hard to prepare for. 

Wednesday night, hubby had slept all of three hours since Sunday morning. He was a zombie. He came home, went straight to bed and I finally had the van to do some errands. I ran Lachlan to his 15 month check up, where he received a vaccination and a clean bill of health. Then I needed a few things at Walmart. 

Unfortunately, as I went to check out, Lachlan was getting antsy and wanted out. I started to buckle him into the cart, but there wasn't a belt. So multi-tasking, I attempted to empty the cart and keep him in it at the same time. It was only a minute or two in before I turned to see him standing in the cart, diving forward and falling to the floor. Head first. 

Lachlan in his hospital gown, sedated and goofy. 

I screamed so loud and with such terror three managers were at my register in no time. In my head, I have a slow motion replay of the fall that plays over and over without end. I watch my baby fall head first into the floor, his neck looked to have broken and his body hit the floor last. And I see it over and over. 

He tried to get up, crying and reaching for me almost the instant he hit the floor. I started soothing him, looking around me for someone to blame. Not one of my brightest moments, for sure. But in my defense, for a moment, I did think my son had died. I yelled at everyone around me. I was devestated, upset, scared, and angry. More importantly, my baby had a bump on his head the side of a golf ball. 

Two older ladies came to my rescue and were truly angels to me at that moment. They offered tissues and even an ice cream cone for Lachlan. It was the only thing that stopped him from crying. They each hugged me before we left. They were such a blessing and helped me immensely to settle down and focus on what needed done.

We left Walmart and headed to the Children's hospital and I called hubby, who had gotten about two hours of sleep since I left. As I was on the phone I realized that Lachlan was falling asleep and I panicked. I told hubby and turned around for the closer ER. As soon as I was in the waiting room and Lachlan's vitals were being taken, I called hubby back and he was RUNNING. Running 3.5 miles from our house to the ER. 

After 3 hours, two shots to try to sedate my big ol' bear of a baby, and a CT Scan, we were cleared and sent home. Lachlan fell asleep nursing and I don't think anything would have woke him. He was exhausted. 

The next morning the black eye showed up. 

All better on Friday...just a black eye slowly healing. 
All that said, Walmart did call me the next day and told me they were looking at replacing all the missing belts on the carts. I'd say at least 20% of their carts have broken or missing belts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment