Monday, August 27, 2012

Monday's Moment

My second born, my little fat boy, took his first steps this weekend. Unassisted, shakey little shuffling steps.
 
 
 
 What a perfect moment, and captured on film no less! I must say for all the bad aspects of the modern age and constant connection to phones and iPads and the internet, there is a positive. Our children will have an amazing wealth of moments to remember their childhoods by. I love looking at old photos and home videos of my time at home with my sisters and parents. There just isn't that much to look at. Hubby has even fewer photos and no video at all.

When our kids get older and they bring their dates home, think of all the horribly embarrassing things we will get to share. Its an endless sea of ammunition! And when I have grandchildren I can pull out all these videos and images and show them what it was like for their parents as children. Maybe childhood will stop seeming so far away and foreign. Maybe we will be able to keep those experiences just a little closer to our hearts.
 
And when I am old and my boys have grown up and moved away from me, I know I'll be sitting there with a glass of wine, sobbing over all these moments. Just as I know my own mother has been known to do. Isn't that what good parents everywhere do?
 
There are days when I listen to Laithan talk, with his attitude and his tall tales and I just want to capture every minute of it. The lilt of his voice, the way he gestures with his hands, that ornery smile he has. I would love to record one whole day with my little men so that when I'm old and I miss them I can replay the whole day again and again.
 
There are not many moments I remember clearly. I remember sitting, cradling Laithan as a baby, trying to force my memory to capture every detail so I would never forget. And of course, now there is just a big muddled mixture of a memory of holding him and staring down at his sleeping face. But then there are moments like when he would smile and giggle as I held him up over my head and he was looking down at me....that one I remember vividly. The way the light was, the way his drool slid out of his open grinning mouth and on to my cheek and the way his giggles sounded.
 
Laithan's ornery grin at Mommy while I tried to put him to sleep!
 And the moment I kissed Lachlan's cheek after he was born, the smell of him and the softness of his skin and the sound of the OR and the bright white lights and hubby in his blue mask.
 
 
And when I saw Laithan this weekend in Mass, reach out and pat his brother's head and say, "I'm sorry" after punching him in the cheek. Ah...brotherly love. And I hope I never forget it.
 
 
So I think each Monday will be a moment remembered. From here on out, on Monday's I'll share a moment from the week before that I hope my memory saves forever.
 
And everyone else, please share your moment as well! Share it on your blog and comment with your link, or just share in the comments. After all, life is really just a series of moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment