Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tuna Mushroom Burgers

This is my first recipe post! Exciting! I wish I had lots of fancy pictures to go with it, but all I have is a picture from my phone. I will strive to do better next time!


Tuna Mushroom Burger on a fancy paper plate!
My family is part of the WIC program. I could be ashamed and hide this, but the fact is that where we are right now, we need a little help. We don't get food stamps or Medicaid, just WIC. And the little bit of food it provides is a HUGE help for us and I appreciate every gallon of milk and can of tuna.

And that brings us to the inspiration of my Tuna Mushroom Burger. Tuna. And lots of it. While I was still breastfeeding a less than one year old, I got 30 oz of tuna each month. That's a lot of tuna folks. A lot. And besides throwing a can in some mac and cheese with a can of peas (a staple in our house when I was growing up, especially on Lenten Fridays!), or opening a can to spread with mayo and pickle on crackers, I was at a loss.

Necessity is the mother of all invention, folks. And my necessity was using up some tuna!

This recipe can be changed and altered depending on your tastes and what is in the fridge, so its very flexible. I've done it a few different ways but this was the best! Please keep in mind measurements are VERY loosely based. I eyeball everything and so, if it seems like too much or too little, adjust it! You really can't mess it up!

3 cans of chunk light tuna in water
1/2 onion, finely diced (green, red, white, whatever!)
1/2 green pepper, finely diced (or orange, or yellow, or red!)
3-4 mushrooms, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 eggs
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or crushed crackers, etc)
Olive oil and butter to saute
Vegetable oil to fry "burgers"
Flour to coat
Salt and pepper to taste

First, warm up some olive oil and 1-2 tbsp of butter. Throw in the peppers and onions and get those started while you mince garlic and clean/chop mushrooms. When peppers and onions start to soften up, add mushrooms and garlic, saute on medium heat until it all starts to brown and remove from heat. While it cools a bit, drain the tuna and place in medium bowl with eggs and breadcrumbs. Add vegetables and combine. I use the same pan I had the veggies in and wipe it out and add vegetable oil, about 1/2 inch deep. Heat that up at medium high heat. Divide tuna mixture into four parts and patty and coat in flour. Once oil is nice and hot, gently lay patties in oil and fry on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side. Flip when you see the nice golden brown on the edges. Place on paper towels to drain. Serve on buns with tomato, lettuce and mayo.

Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment